Ayie
When it comes to saving my husband relies on me the most. I can say I had a good training with my mom when I was a kid and handling some side business growing up taught me a lot how to be frugal and be a spender at the same time. Oh yes I can splurge when I want to shop and once I start there's no stopping me. During this tight economic time we have to be smart with our spending and find ways on how to save so I'm really keeping that in mind.



When I came here I noticed hubs has a big jar where he dumps all his coins. I took the initiative and continue putting change there because in time we can just exchange those for bills using the coin machines here. It was a boring day just us relaxing at home, hubs busy doing computer stuffs and me just chilling out. I thought of counting all the coins (quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies) just to pass time. Call me weird huh? Well not me alone, look who got curious with what I was doing and counted the sorted coins as well! Though he didn't join me sorting out the coins and stacking it per dollar.



Now here's the fun part.....can you help me count how much we saved in the jar? Btw, this was done few months back that's why I'm separating the new sets of change we get and count it before I put in the jar. You can see how I stacked the coins, one stack is a dollar so you just need to count how many stacks are there. Believe it or not, keeping your change this way is a good way of saving money too. It may not be that much but in time you'll see how much you saved already. I like training kids this way by giving them coin banks and teaching them to save there so they can get something they like later on. I also do this kind of saving with loose bills, whenever I have extra I just keep it. That serves as our emergency money at home, no need to rush to the bank just to get some cash.



But lately I haven't been putting much change in the jar because I haven't been really doing much groceries being busy with other things and therefore not carrying much cash doing my usual purchases. Hubby is the same, he just gets the allowance he needs for the week from the bank and there were even times when we go out without carrying any cash at all. I know it's not good to do that but those times we're really out and about thus forgetting to pass by the bank to get some cash. good thing we always carry our debit cards which covers our cash needs whether we eat out or shop. We're not too reliant on credit cards and only really use it when needed. Call it cashless days! It's very common here anyway and you can actually even get those reloadable Prepaid Debit Card, Prepaid Mastercard or Prepaid Credit Card in local stores and other establishments.



In cases that you don't want to use your debit cards for security purposes there's a safer and more secured means of carrying cash through the reloadable AchieveCard. With this you don't need to use and expose your bank debit card or atm making your accounts protected from hackers and identity thieves. (hubs was once a victim, somebody got a hold of his number and good thing he noticed about $300 loss, tracked with bank's help but we still can't believe how it was done so be careful purchasing most especially online with less established stores) It can be used easily in any location as long as it accepts Mastercard for your purchases in store or online. Same time you can watch your budget since this Prepaid Debit Card is reloadable, you can easily set the cash limit that you want to use. Efficient don't you think? I even used used this method back there in the Philippines when they introduced those express pay cards but honestly I prefer to use cash still since I tend to spend more not seeing my bills flying away! =P Like I said earlier, once I start, I can't stop! A piece of advice to all before I end this long post of mine, may it be cash, card or checks make sure you spend wise. It's still best to save up for the future.

After all the reading, back to my question... how much in total? Also, what are your money saving tips? Mind sharing?
Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
45 Responses
  1. Carver Says:

    Saving change is a good idea. Looks like a lot of it there.


  2. i've always taught my kids about frugality from an early age. as a parent, i've been training my kids the value of money, saving, budgeting and spending wisely. I've provided each of the kids a piggy bank to fill up.


  3. Ayie Says:

    Carver,

    No guess how much? Saving those change will eventually pile up and be of a bigger amount. You won't even notice =)


  4. Ayie Says:

    Ramblings,

    That's really good! Kids who learn early will be wiser when it comes to their finances in ti=he future. You are such a good mom giving them the practical knowledge they need to learn and apply to their lives later on.


  5. lina Says:

    Raimie has a piggy bank too. We encouraged him to out his daily allowance there. He brought food from home to school so he didn't need to spend on food at the school canteen. It was fun seeing his savings adding up and he likes it when I deposit them into his account.


  6. Ayie Says:

    Lina,

    Good morning! You and ramblings are early birds =) I have been encouraging my kid sis-in-law to save and even bought her a coin bank and told her to save as much as she can so we cn open her a bank account later on. =) Me and hubs are like kids in this sense, we consider even the smallest value. Anyways big things started small first!


  7. levian Says:

    i had been doing the same thing at home too! collecting coins n counting them.
    but stopped this couple of years, hehe. that really brought back some cool memories.
    like you, i got my own piggy bank since young,
    maybe just a few dollars, but our saving habits definitely starts from there.
    you are pretty much ready to train jr! :D


  8. Superman Says:

    My guess is 52 dollars! Money savings tips? I always watch some of the movies which is not blockbuster movies online. Can save back on the movie tickets and DVD. When you go out and watch movie, before the movie sure go for a dinner first, then snacks for the movie. That will cost a lot already. Hehe.
    I did wrote about counting coins before and I really hate it... you might want to read it : http://skyriders-superman.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-hate-coins.html


  9. wow! wgat a coincidence. I have lots of them at home too.


  10. Jackie Says:

    We always throw our spare change in containers too. it really adds up if you do it for a long time!!:-)))


  11. Jackie Says:

    Hugs to you Ayie!!:-)))


  12. So many coins! It would take a long time to sort and count them. :P


  13. I usually spend all my coins because they are heavy to carry around. Besides the banks charge a small fee if I want to deposit or exchange my pile of coins. :(


  14. Anya Says:

    Now you have many coins
    Enjoy playing with it ;)
    LOL



  15. ladyviral Says:

    I got different cans of pringles cans for my coins.

    1cents and 5 cents in one, 50cents, 20cents, 10cents in one and another for dollars. Dollars is quite empty hahah... my 2nd bottle is full though and I don't know where to bring it to change them :P.


  16. Ice Says:

    Are those 1 cents? You should deposit them into the bank account than keeping them in the jar.

    Australia doesn't have 1 cent though. The smallest is 5 cents.


  17. Mummy Gwen Says:

    Wow..that alot of coins! I need some tips on how to save money too. LOL. Spend less and save more..hehe.


  18. Bengbeng Says:

    i dont know why but i have been having problems commenting :) u r a great businesswoman


  19. Bengbeng Says:

    i think it is blogger.com


  20. Salitype Says:

    oh! my husband and daughter does the same thing...keeping all our change in a big jar or piggy banks!

    at the end of the day, you'll be amazed how much is in there!!!


  21. There must be some interesting items for collectors in there!
    God bless you!
    Cezar


  22. Tekkaus Says:

    I was so late huh! Haha :D I have a big jar too. And I have lost count.

    Ouh...your hubs credit card number was stolen by someone! Gosh! :(


  23. Tekkaus Says:

    Yeah! Sometimes I have to rely on my wife about saving too. Haha :D


  24. Donna Says:

    haha..
    i love counting money too.. XD
    it's good thing husband rely on wife on money saving, coz that means they trust us + no money go out "sa sa guan"
    heheh...


  25. [SK] Says:

    wow, that is a lot of money!!! for me, i don't keep them, i'll make sure i used them up, whether in supermarkets or in fast food chain, i'll always dig to see if i have coins in my pocket to use.. i love to just pay the exact amount, hahaha!!


  26. Ayie Says:

    Levian,

    It's beneficial to know different ways of saving may it be big or small. I bet you enjoy counting too like me =)


  27. Ayie Says:

    Superman,

    You got it right! Now it's more since this photo's really backdated. That's a nice saving tip. We also do that sometimes but most of the time when we go out to watch we also try to eat out as a break from work and stress.

    I'll check out your post in a while =)


  28. Ayie Says:

    Willie,

    I'm eyeing into filling up the jar to see how much it can make...hehe


  29. Ayie Says:

    Jackie,

    It's a good way to save and having those coins won't really tempt you to get it to buy something. it will be so heavy to carry =P


  30. Ayie Says:

    ECL,

    the bank charges for coin deposits? weird...

    here there are machines where you can just dump the coins then it will change it to bills like coin atm =)

    It takes long to count all but it's worth the fun when you are bored =P


  31. Ayie Says:

    Anya,

    haha! i like the sound it makes when i shoot it in the jar =)


  32. Ayie Says:

    Sidney,

    Oh how I wish =)


  33. Ayie Says:

    Ladyviral,

    Banks can change those coins! You can also have them for deposit =)


  34. Ayie Says:

    Ai,

    We plan to just chnage it to bills in time since there are coin atm here. It's a hassle to bring it to the bank and it's fun seeing all the coins fill up the jar too =)


  35. Ayie Says:

    Mummy Sexy,

    It's easier to spend than save huh? hehe i love to shop too that's why!


  36. Ayie Says:

    Bengbeng,

    it could be blogger, i had problems too last week.


  37. Ayie Says:

    Eng,

    That's the fun part...seeing it a lot and then when you count, it's that much already! Hubs wants to get that digital counting bank...he's lazy to do those counting so he wants it automatic! haha!


  38. Ayie Says:

    Leia,

    Do you collect coins? Those coins for collection we already got from the jar =)


  39. Ayie Says:

    Oooops sorry, I didn't notice it was Cezar who commented this time =)


  40. Ayie Says:

    Tekkaus,

    It;s not even the CC but the deebit card for the bank...good thing it was traced and the money was put back. imagine $300 is big bucks already.

    That's why you have wifey with you...she does the budgeting and saving =)


  41. Ayie Says:

    dolly,

    what's "sa sa guan"?

    yep, trust is very important!


  42. Ayie Says:

    SK,

    I do that too but here it's easy to get coins for change so we opted to save in a jar =)


  43. levian Says:

    i am bad with counting, but i do love the stacking A Lot!
    not to mention placing them way too close to each other,
    which my sister will later complaint about how difficult it is to separate those into 5 or 10.
    i imagine myself to be a quite handful if i were to help you with it. :p


  44. Ayie Says:

    Levian,

    then you must be having fun stacking =P


Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page