Ayie
I was looking for some of my project images and came across this one. It brought back some office memories and I clearly remembered how much pressure I had with this project. I know it looks really simple and you might be asking why get an architect to do a simple hotdogs on sticks unit. I admit the project is way so simple compared to all others I handled there but what gave so much challenge with this one was the fact I had to come up with layout plan with presentation image and boss even stood right there beside me (call that pressure) as we go through the finishes and colors within an hour time. 1hr to come up with a presentation is not joke at all, yes even as small as this needs so much detailing with the equipment and all. Honestly 1hr can be just right getting through concepts and initial layout. But we had this demanding all-time-client and we couldn't say no. Location wise targeted to be in the well known (one of the biggest) SM Mall of Asia made it a lot harder than usual. Very strict planning and design restrictions limited us with everything.



One thing I had to consider most here is the crowd control. We had to anticipate the draw of customers and things will be so chaotic if everybody will just be ordering here and there without any system. Stanchions (an upright pole, post, or support) were given high consideration with the queing of orders to maintain a system and be more productive with the space. Wouldn't it be best if these things are considered right away, do you agree?

Actually there are many kinds of barricades that can be used for certain designs or needs according to the space and occasion. Lets say this one being just a regular commercial unit we can suggest the use of a rectractable belt (some even can be custom like a sign line banner or printed belts). Can you see the 3 red poles with black retractable belts by the counter? Velvet rope however is not too appropriate for this kind of design. We usually see it in museums, hotels or exhibits which obviously falls under more formal in appeal.

These crowd control products help maintain order for people to stay in line most especially for high traffic areas like concerts, banks, events and the like. One very good use of these stanchions that I can think of is in movie theaters or cinema ticket booths. Imagine those people trying to cut the line and trying to find their ways! I hate people who try to get away from lining up and making all that fuss! Providing such barricades can control traffic thus giving more privacy and security to all may it be indoor (pipe & drape walls) or outdoor (fence barricade & traffic cones).

Oooops this post reminds me of the local opera (Manon) and concert (Starwars in concert) me and hubs we'll be attending this Sunday and sometime Oct. I hope it will be really orderly there because I don't want to be squeezed in by the crowd, oh no no bad for baby!

Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
33 Responses
  1. Jean Says:

    me! i love hotdogs! yea both sausages and dogs. hehe.

    From me to you, suejean =)


  2. Ayie Says:

    SJ,

    everything on it or just plain? =)


  3. levian Says:

    crowd control could be pretty tricky during peak hours.
    everyone just wanna get their food first n think less of others.
    the retractable belts could do the trick, provided that the area is small enough
    just so others can't slide on in from the space. :)


  4. Ayie Says:

    Levian,

    that serves it purpose...to keep order at least =)


  5. Tekkaus Says:

    Wow! You design the above restaurant? Awesome Ayie! It looks really good! I mean it has this classic feel and at the same time blends well with the urban details. :)


  6. Tekkaus Says:

    Must be very intense huh! Having the boss standing beside you and you need to complete it in 1 hour. You can really design aye Ayie! :)


  7. Tekkaus Says:

    Agree Ayie! Sometimes we need to have barricades right? Especially with the patrons are too much to handle. :)

    Anyway thanks for sharing. This is a special post from you today. :)


  8. Ayie Says:

    Tekkaus,

    haha I'm drowning with your praises! hehe thanks but it's not my design alone most of boss...he had the final say with everything. The concept was to make it modern yet cozy.

    You just missed the spot and tomorrow I'll have something again. I'm in architectural mood so I feel like sharing my last projects =)

    I agree about those barricades, it helps a lot to ease order in line. Thanks for the early visit from you!


  9. Sidney Says:

    Wow...you designed that in one hour? You are talented !


  10. Superman Says:

    Crowds control is very important for service sectors. My wife is busy playing Restaurant City in Facebook and she learned a lot of this from the game. Nice game though but I just don't have the time for it.


  11. Ayie Says:

    Sidney,

    It was a pressure design...hehe a must for the client. We were pitted with time so I really had to cram with boss' help. He had the layout and everything in mind then I simply had to work on the output. =) It was a big challenge...just glad we finished in time. No construction drawings or whatsoever...just presentation. Thanks!


  12. Ayie Says:

    Superman,

    Wow your wife has time to play those...one good thing with those games you get to learn things like there in sims. Maybe I should check out on those too..hehe.


  13. Jackie Says:

    Wow it doesn't look simple to me one single bit!! I know a little bit about design and having to make precise lines, angles and measurements!! Great job!! By the way, I have a post that will be up in just a little while and you have an award!
    Hugs,
    Jackie:-)


  14. Ayie Says:

    Jackie,

    Hi...still up? What I know you're about 2hrs ahead of us that makes it 12mn there now? I'm stealing my husband's time here in the computer but will hand it over to him in a while. I"ll check your blog before I move out of my seat =) and wow I have an award! thanks!

    The design is simpler than other projects I handled. Most of my projects were residential and offices so I categorize this as simple compared to those. Did you design anything architectural?

    have a pleasant evening dear!


  15. Anya Says:

    Hotdogs yummie........
    :)


  16. Pete Says:

    Nice design....add in a few young couples eating hotdogs.....yum yum!


  17. wow You are so talent dear Ayie! Congratulations for this fabulous design!
    Have a great weekend
    God bless you
    Léia


  18. Salitype Says:

    wow! ayie, that is one cool design, very contemporary and in keeping with less formal and more relax ambiance...what am i talking about!

    i love it! and the details that goes with planning with traffic, flows of activity in mind is impressive...

    well done you!the best part is, it is in shade of brown, my fav!!!!


  19. [SK] Says:

    certainly not an easy job as i see you explaining all the stuffs so professionally there.. and 1 hour is always a very short time to come out with anything..


  20. Ayie Says:

    Anya,

    hahaha i agree..


  21. Ayie Says:

    Pete,

    Thanks pete! it was intended for architectural visualization so we didn't put any entourage =)


  22. Ayie Says:

    Leia,

    A pleasant weekend to you and your family too!

    Thanks for your dear compliments, the design is practically from boss' ideas =)


  23. Ayie Says:

    Eng,

    So you love brown too?! I also prefer the warm shades of brown, feels so cozy. I like contemporary designs with a slight touch of modern.

    Traffic and circulation is very important in design so those things were given much considerations in planning. Thanks so much for your compliments =)

    happy friday!!


  24. Ayie Says:

    SK,

    It wasn't easy with the time pressure and boss being there but it was challenging coz of those things too!

    I agree that 1hr is a very limited time to come up with complete ideas and execute things and all.

    Happy weekend to you!


  25. Carver Says:

    Interesting post. THanks so much for your visits to my blog.


  26. Ayie Says:

    Carver,

    You're welcome carver and thanks too!

    happy friday!


  27. Nice description bout the place !! Your Blog is nice..Unseen Rajasthan


  28. Ayie Says:

    rajasthan,

    thanks for the visit


  29. Mummy Gwen Says:

    Ayie ganda, you have a very interesting job. That's a very good design. I love hotdogs too!


  30. Ayie Says:

    Mummy sexy,

    back right away with blog hopping? hehe

    I enjoy designing a lot and indeed it's very interesting though very tiring at the same time. Thanks, I'm glad you like the design...boss has quite an edge with that making simple designs look pleasant.

    And how you dress your hotdogs?


  31. Vixen Says:

    Nice work. Enjoy your concert this weekend, I hope the crowds don't squish either of you!


  32. Ayie Says:

    Vixen,

    Thanks! I hope we won't be squished, not good for my baby. I think it will be orderly there since it's opera.

    happy friday!!


  33. hot dogs are not my cup of tea but i love your design here. it's brilliantly done.


Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page