Ayie
Don't get me wrong, this is not about the movie "One Fine Day" and completely nothing to do with it. When we arrived here last January the weather was way too extreme. I expected that right away knowing it's still the winter season. There were freezing cold nights and dawns but the real deal was when it rains. It was surprisingly rainy for the succeeding days and weeks making it quite impossible for us to enjoy going out and seeing places.

Finally, one fine day came. After all the rain, the sun once again brightened up the skies. It was a free Sunday for me and my husband and all we had to do was to give the car a nice scrub. We like attending the Saturday anticipated mass and try to fit in all errands and grocery shopping the same day to give way to a relaxing Sunday. After the carwash a little after 2pm he just asked me if I wanted to go to Santa Cruz Beach. Of course I'd love to go there after being confined at home during the rainy days. It was a quick decision and we headed to Walgreens and grabbed some snacks for our short trip. It only took us approx. 30mins to reach the place.

...the boardwalk...

He's been wanting to bring me to the boardwalk since we came and we're glad we finally made it. This place served as a retreat place for him and papa during those oven hot days and when he feels so stressed from work and all. But don't be fooled by the sun's glorious shine, for those who came from the tropics (like me) you wouldn't enjoy the freezing bite of cold air. We wanted to enjoy the sun so we left our sweaters in the car (so far from the beach) and experienced the chilly air as we strolled along the beach. Expect to have a tan by the end of the day after soaking under the sun.

...seagulls by the shore...


I started taking photos right away and I enjoyed seeing all these busy seagulls fishing out for foods. Still a long way to go to reach the end of the boardwalk leadingto a viewdeck. I spotted a small fishing boat displayed by the deck and thinking it would be a good photo subject, I started clicking away with my cam.

...a display boat, Marcella...


We're almost halfway the viewdeck and along the way on our stops, these beautiful creatures stole my attention once again. I didn't stop til I got a good shot of that goose swimming freely in the waters. It was swimming quite fast making it harder to get a centered shot. Upon several clicks, alas! The sun shining so brightly against my lenses gave way to such dramatic effect (haha, that's just my description) .

...look, the bird's posing for me! hehe...

After a long leisurely walk passing all those overlooking diners and restaurants, we finally reached the end of the deck. Nothing really special but a wider view of the waters. Some seals were swimming playfully but didn't get good shots because they were too fast going up and down the water. Wait, something interesting was there and people with great huge dslr were taking shots of this lazy lovely big bird. Why lazy? Maybe it's more appropriate if i use the word still to describe this pelican. It hardly moved and was just there so still for a long time. I wonder if standing steadily there on a metal pipe backsplash isn't too hard on it's small feet supporting that heavy looking body. I didn't dare touch or disturb this resting bird because I was scared if it gets nuts....it's pretty big you know!

...lovely pelican and a far away sailboat...


It must be fun to go fishing there that's why we saw many people trying to have some catch (hehe, but didn't see anybody catching one). Can you see that tiny sailboat on the photo below? That's the same one above, I just tried zooming to get a better shot. That's one fun activity, to sail but I'll give more consideration on summer time.

So many seagulls who were scavenging for food, you have to be careful with the poop! The restaurant crews would often alarm people to not leave their foods (the seagulls will snatch it!) and watch their heads (bad birds who poop!) because the seagulls were just all over the deck. I managed to finally caught two in action. Been waiting for such opportunity!


What's next? Sorry guys I have to cut my story for now and continue on part 2 later on. I don't want to make this post super long or else I might just bore you as you read along. =)

Have a great weekend!!

Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
38 Responses
  1. Hello sweetie Ayie!
    Outstanding pictures! My favourites are that cute pelican and the beautiful sail boat!
    Many thanks for sharing so wonderful post!
    Have a perfect weekend
    Léia


  2. Ayie Says:

    Hi Leia!
    You are always early with your comment, thanks so much dear. I like the pelican shot too =)

    Enjoy your weekend!


  3. lina Says:

    Ayie,
    those are lovely photos. Ooohhh how I wish I can be at the beach now. :)


  4. Ayie Says:

    Thanks Lina! Maybe your family can round up a trip to the beach this Sunday =)

    Enjoy your weekend!


  5. Carver Says:

    Beautiful shots at the beach and boardwalk. I love the ones of the birds in particular.


  6. Bengbeng Says:

    i ove the pelican shot. i love to read the post too abt yr dad


  7. betchai Says:

    i love the shots, know what? i have a very similar pelican shot with what you have, the one on the right side. i love pelicans actually, very interesting to photograph. yeah, birds poop smell :(


  8. fufu Says:

    i didnt go to this santa cruz when i was in SF 2yrs ago... i only been to santa monica and long beach when i was in LA.... anyway i love pier 17(am i right?) the fisherman wharf =p


  9. Tekkaus Says:

    The photos of the birds against the sparkling water is really awesome. :D Haha Yeah! Have to be careful with the poops.


  10. it's amazing to see such wonderful shots of the birds in action.


  11. Ayie Says:

    Hi Carver, I appreciate your kind compliments. Same here, love the birds. =)


  12. Ayie Says:

    Hi Bengbeng, nice pelican right? We were lucky to see it there resting. You really like that post for papa? What do you like there in specific, I'm quite intrigued?


  13. Ayie Says:

    Hi Betchai, oh yeah bird poop stinks!!!!

    Really you have a similar shot? I wanna see that, you are so good in photos! =)


  14. Ayie Says:

    Hi Fufu, so you missed santa cruz beach? I heard it's a lot more fun down in LA....hotter! hahaha

    We love going to sf fisherman's wharf, we were there last month and I think it's pier 39. I had lots of photos there too, will be in upcoming posts. Stay tuned! =)


  15. Ayie Says:

    Hi Tekkaus, thanks! I'll be totally upset if I get pooped by those gulls!


  16. Ayie Says:

    Hi Ramblings! It's hard to snap shots of the birds there...they move a lot! I don't have such kind of dslr to capture extreme actions or maybe i just don't know how touse it in full! hahaha!


  17. roentare Says:

    I am truely impressed by the colour of the pelican

    I found the species I have seen in Australia are rather dull and boring

    Good posts


  18. Pelicans and seagulls! I saw them for the first time in Gold Coast, Australia.

    Have a great week ahead!



  19. levian Says:

    ah, the pelican shot was awesome!
    you were so lucky to have it right in front of you.
    i have yet come in contact with one. :D


  20. Ayie Says:

    hi Roentarre! Got lucky with that pelican, it was a very pleasant experience being inches away shooting and snapping shots...it doesn't even nudge a bit! That's the best part! *lol* Thanks!


  21. Ayie Says:

    Hi ECL! Wow, you've been to places too...hope I can see those photos too if you happened to shoot some.

    Have a great week too! Thanks!


  22. Ayie Says:

    Hi Levian! Love the pelican shots too, and it was indeed a lucky day to see one. Thanks!

    How's your weekend dear?


  23. Ayie Says:

    Hi Willie! Did you feel the beach with this post? =)


  24. Monica Says:

    Woooww I love all yr pics dearie!!! :-)


  25. levian Says:

    it was short, way too short especially when we have
    somehow gotten used to the long holiday last weekend. :p
    how was yours? :)


  26. Mummy Gwen Says:

    Very nice photos, ganda. I like the photos of the pelican. I've never seen one before..hehe.


  27. i agree wholeheartedly with the others. the pelican pics are very well captured. thanks for sharing.


  28. Ayie Says:

    Hi Monica...thanks so much sweetie! Hope you'll like the next part too =)


  29. Ayie Says:

    Oh my Levian, ours...very tiring. Groceries on Sat, car stuffs and mass. Then had to go bring Papa somewhere far last Sunday (can't let him go alone commuting)ended up consuming our whole pm. No rest even yesterday...


  30. Ayie Says:

    Sexy Mummy...that's my first pelican encounter too. Don't remember with my zoo trips during the younger years anymore...hehe! Thanks dear!


  31. Ayie Says:

    Glad you like it too Ramblings...I was totally stunned when I saw the pelican. I thought it will be a good blog photo! hahaha! Your kind words are very much appreciated, these photos are really intended to be shared to everybody. =)

    G'nightie!


  32. levian Says:

    oh gosh, that sure had turned into a very long weekend.
    my my, hopefully you get to have a more relaxing one for the coming saturday! :D


  33. lina Says:

    @Ayie,
    We didn't go to a beach during the weekend, but instead went to the highlands, Cameron Highlands to be exact. I'll put up some posts on our visit there soon. :)


  34. Ayie Says:

    Thanks Levian. I also hope so, we feel a bit exhausted already plus the weather gets so extreme (cold&hot) everyday, easy to catch flu.


  35. Ayie Says:

    Ok Lina, will wait for your posts...put lots of photos =)

    You and ramblings should have met there instead =)


  36. levian Says:

    hang in there,
    n remember to catch plenty of rest while you can.
    sleep being the best preventive measure after all. ;)


  37. Ayie Says:

    Thanks so much Levian, so sweet of you. =) I'm not a night owl anymore so I get enough rest. You too, better take care!


Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page