Ayie
How can you explain that good feeling after helping someone and accomplishing something? Isn't it great to be able to do things while you're still young? This post has nothing to do about bragging or showing-off, just remembering some dear people who trusted us so much for their dream. A dream which is not cheap to begin with. One thing we all learned from this experience, nothing's impossible with trust, honesty and hard work.


...Tabios Residence Project...

I met the Tabios Family through my brother. One of the daughter's my bro's classmate in his master studies. So how did I get into the picture? Mr. Tabios (tito Orly) was scheduled to retire soon, him and his wife (tita Remy) thought of using the retirement money to build their retirement home. Something bigger than what they have which is a bungalow. Thinking that the kids are getting married and soon the whole family will be expanding, their home needs to expand as well. Knowing I work in an architectural office, they asked my bro favor for me to have it checked and quoted and see if our office can meet their ends. Apparently, big money's at stake and they only have limited budget of Php2M. Our boss can't see the possibility of the office taking over the project, he felt like they will lose so much money having it professionaly done by any architectural company. Boss then thought of me helping them out instead to just get the project myself and do it for them. At least they don't need to pay me as much as the office, you know how hard it is to bill friends with business. =) Done deal, with boss' suggestion I took the project to help them out.



...verandah, garage & garden-pond-grotto...

That time I took the lead, I was still on the process of taking my license meaning I can't sign the plans undermy name. It's ok, the fact that I get to design a hose that will be really up for construction was more than enough for me at that time. Given the situation, I can bill them with the amount that they can really afford. It won't be the same if I already had my license, it's against our code to do that. After several meetings with the the Tabios, I came up with plans all all necessary construction and building permit sheets. The lplanning was a big challenge because it's an inner lot. Good thing not much revisions and they were happy with the planning & design. Next step was finding a trustworthy contractor...which in our field is not an easy task. We needed someone willing to help them with their dream and luckily I knew who can do the work. After the estimates and all the deals (permits & clearances), we agreed on a contract and settled everything.



...common area, living, dining & entertainment rooms...

After almost a year, the house was finally finished. It was initially 6mos for the construction but due to insufficient funds things took longer than expected. Little by little the Tabios Family worked on the finishes. At this point, I gave them the freedom to do as they please with the colors and materials. I just gave suggestions for comparison but all the rest was still their discretion. They had to do the most practical way with the finishes and following everything I specified will definitely cost them a lot more. Everything turned out good after all. They painted it green because of tita Remy's love for plants. As long as they are happy and they love it, I'm ok. They consult me anyway for everything.



...my dear Elisse with me on site visits...

One thing that I enjoyed most during the entire construction was the site visit. That's part of my contract obligation with them, I do periodic visits. When the place was almost done after the dusty construction time, my dear Elisse joins my visits. She loved going there! Later on I received a call from them inviting us all, my whole family for the house blessing. Everybody enjoyed their new home that night.

The original design on the other hand was not followed exactly due to its cost. It was estimated at Php8.8M and they were so shocked with the price. I blamed my bro for that...hehe! He told me to go all the way and just make the design really good for them. I didn'twant to knowing their deal but bro's being so nosy...always checking and seeing the design. I did what he said but it ended up disappointing the clients. They felt like it's impossible for them to have the house constructed given such tag. Just did minor revisions and extensive deals with the contractor. It wasn't easy but I enjoyed it so much....the design, inspection, everything! I'm very much thankful also to my husband who checked & approved my designs from day 1 and on, this house kept us working together despite our distance. We shared the same passion and excitement doing this project. I was able to bring him to the site when he came for a short vacation last December. =)

The reason why I posted this is because I thought of tita Remy and everybody the other day. We're supposed to see them again before we left but we didn't have time to do so anymore. =(
Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
39 Responses
  1. lina Says:

    that is such a lovely project you got there.
    :)


  2. Tekkaus Says:

    Wow! Love this post. :D Congrates Ayie. It wasn't easy and you did it flying colours. I didn't know that you are an architect. I salute you Ayie.

    I still remember I wanted to study architect during my uni but then I decided to take up other discipline. Anyway Good for you.

    By the way is Elise your daughter or niece? She looks cute. Haha :D


  3. Mummy Gwen Says:

    Hi Ayie ganda, Wow...you impressed me. You are so talented, ganda. I can see you really have passion in your work. Good job!!

    P/S: Elise is so cute. I like her fair and flawless skin.


  4. Bengbeng Says:

    I salute u. Ayie. U did a good thing


  5. Congratulations sweetie Ayeie You did a fabulous work with this project!A blessed work I can say!
    Wonderful pictures!
    God bless you and many thanks for sharing!
    Léia and Luna(from Brazil)


  6. betchai Says:

    Congratulations, Ayie. That is such a feat, of course, plus the good heart you put into it to be able to help them realize their dreams. Even though I am not an architect nor in the construction business, but I know how hard it is to work with a certain design but with a limited budget, it takes some really creative thinking and excellent planning. I love their living room, and your niece looks so adorable. Love your design too, considering it is an inner lot, you were able to fit in the renovation design with their old design.


  7. Ayie Says:

    Hi Lina, thanks dear. =)


  8. Ayie Says:

    Hi Tekkaus, too much compliments from you...thanks so much. I"m glad you like the post. There are many better architects out there, I'm not even half their career. =)

    Why didn't you pursue architecture? *curious*

    Hehe, you always mistake elisse as my daughter...do we look alike? She's my cutie niece =)


  9. Ayie Says:

    Hi Mummy Sexy, thanks. I'm so happy that I was able to leave some works in the Philippines, that's so fulfilling! Designning is very much my passion.

    Everytime I see your little Gwen and Rambling's little girl, I get reminded of Elisse. Cuties =)


  10. Ayie Says:

    Hi Bengbeng, no need to salute me...haha not a big time arch. Your kind words are very much appreciated. Thanks!


  11. Ayie Says:

    Hi Leia and Luna, thank you...sweet as always. =) It's my pleasure to have to all here in photojournal.


  12. Ayie Says:

    Hi Betchai, glad you like it...that was hard! The budget alone restricted me from designing it the way they wanted it to be so I just made it in a more feasible manner. Same here, I love their living room. When I saw it finished with the furnitures a big smile was glued on my face. haha! I'm not too girlish with designs and decorations that's why I'm so pleased with how they worked on their areas.

    I think I misleaded you with the old design of their house thing, that bungalow house is in a different lot. That inner lot we used for this one was empty so it's a totally new design which is a lot easier than a full renovation. That's a pain in the a**. =P Thanks so much!


  13. Ayie Says:

    Betchai, I forgot...I was missing Elisse and she happened to have pics during my visits with her. Did you notice her messy cheeks on one picture? She ate bbq...hehe cute! That's me with her in the center =)


  14. Ice Says:

    Is this house in the Phillippines? I noticed that it was quoted in Php. The house looks very oriental. Just like those back in my home town. In between, did you study architecture back in the Phillippines or in the USA?


  15. levian Says:

    you did a great job!
    i am more than impressed now that i have seen a project being posted here. :D


  16. ladyviral Says:

    Wow the place is beautiful! Well done!

    Your niece is so cute! How old is she?



  17. That is a gorgeous house! And by Singapore housing prices, it's cheap!


  18. Ayie Says:

    Hi Ai, the house is in the Philippines. Oriental is kind of my style when the client loves plants and gardens. I completed my studies also in the Philippines =)

    btw, sorry about the chocolates post...forgot to mention when will it be out =D most likely this fri


  19. Looks like you did a great job with this project, right? i'm happy for you.

    the house is absolutely stunning and if I had the kind of money, I would deck out my house that same way. :)


  20. Good morning Ayie and happy wednesday!


  21. Ayie Says:

    Hi Levian, thanks. Really don't know what to say...


  22. Ayie Says:

    Hi Ladyviral, many thanks for the compliments. My niece is 2, will be 3 this august =)


  23. Ayie Says:

    Hi Willie, thank you.


  24. Ayie Says:

    Hi ECL, oh yeah it's cheap in singapore. The standard of living there is high =) some of my friends are there too. Singapore dollars is a lot higher than Php currency too =D

    Thanks!


  25. Ayie Says:

    Hi Ramblings, a good wednesday evening to you!

    I love the deck, it's airy and spacious there ideal for parties and gatherings. The verandah was just an addition because we had to do feng shui for the house. They were all happy with the result so I think I did good with this one. Thanks for your compliments!


  26. levian Says:

    i love it especially when you placed the old shots together with the new ones,
    making the difference even more obvious.
    i am no pro when it comes to housing design,
    but the house sure looks much more inviting after the modification. :)


  27. foongpc Says:

    Wow! Amazing! You have such talent!

    My brother does interior designing and I think it's a very challenging job!


  28. Ayie Says:

    Levian, the old shots you are referring to are the construction images and then i put together with the finished construction. I think it's good to see it bare and then all fixed up. =)


  29. Ayie Says:

    Hi Foong, wow...thanks. I'm so flattered... =P

    Cool, your bro's an interior designer! That was my second choice in college but I pushed thru with architecture. That's a fun profession too. Maybe your home has a very nice interior?


  30. Monica Says:

    Hi Ayie! wow it looks wonderful and I am very impressed with what you have done! well done sweetie :)


  31. Monica Says:

    Elisse is here too...awww she looks so cute! *hugs*


  32. levian Says:

    from what you had wrote, it sure involved lots of steps during the whole procedure.
    how long did it take for everything to be completed?
    months? or maybe years? :)


  33. Ayie Says:

    Hi Monica! Thanks so much!

    Yep, Elisse is here too =) I miss cuddling with her =(


  34. Ayie Says:

    If I remember right Levian, I rushed the plans and maybe everything all the way to contract signing and estimates took approx 6mos and construction less than a year. It could've been faster if they had all the budget ready but that was not the case.


  35. levian Says:

    wow, that makes it quite long for one project to end.
    you have a lot of patient
    n passion for designing it as well! :D


  36. Ayie Says:

    Any construction really takes long even the simplest might even take a month or 2. The exciting part comes when the project os on the finishing dates...you can see more of the total design so every designer will look forward til the end =)


  37. levian Says:

    ah, so i guess that is the reason some constructions were forfeited half way?
    i often heard about it.


  38. Ayie Says:

    yup, some projects are out of budget thus left hanging and some has too much revisions in between that stalls everything too.


Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page