Ayie
Last Halloween me and hubs together with his mama, papa & sister attended the Halloween costume & birthday party of his sobrino (nephew). It was a fun but chilly night and the food was great too. There was a catered Spanish dishes as his side of family are Latinos.


...our dinner plate with frijoles (refried beans), spanish rice, nachos and salsa, lettuce, guacamole & soft beef and chicken tacos...

...Halloween decors...


There was a short program and magic show hosted by a clown after the kids' fun time playing in the inflatable jumper and of course I took the liberty to snap away. If you notice the kids are multi-racial, that's why I titled this post mixed races. The birthday boy alone is half Greek and half Latino (Salvadorean).


...birthday boy getting too impatient to cut his ice cream cake, 3 happy birthday songs were sang & played in different languages...

....hubs' cousin in Cinderella with husband as Prince, the proud mom and dad of the handsome birthday boy...


...hubs' mama, tias (aunties), papa & tios (uncles)...


Honestly it's hard to mingle around his family if you don't at least understand their language. They all speak Spanish and just some English most especially oif they know you do understand them. I always have to pay close attention when I'm within a conversation so I can understand whatever everybody's saying even without hubs having to translate for me. Of course I don't understand everything, but in a way I can get by. I can only speak very minimal Spanish too. I really have to get back to my Spanish again because there will be more interaction with everybody in time. You'll totally feel left off if you can't get along with their conversation as they would ask you things and converse to you in their very own language.


...hubs with cousins...


The night was great and being with everybody made it more fun just being at home. It's nice to meet more and more of hubs' other side of family. Probably our next meeting will be when they see our baby once he's born. And speaking of baby, hubs and I already talked about how to teach our baby. We have to teach our baby to speak 3 basic languages which are English, Tagalog (Filipino) and Spanish. It will benefit him in time knowing all those languages and who knows if in time we can add other languages too. Our basics will include translation of the languages as we talk to baby so he can naturally absorb and get used with it. That way I can also improve my Spanish as we teach baby. It's not going to be easy but we'll do our best to educate our child. Besides it's not that hard to study different languages with the help of modern technology. There are many online translator sites that can guide and teach whatever desired language you desire to know.

Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
38 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I agree, Ayie..Children learn languages very fast, and easier than when they are adults..Wish you luck with this!


  2. lina Says:

    Wow, what a fun party. Even Spongebob was there! :)


  3. lina Says:

    Good luck to you on improving your Spanish. :)

    Your baby will be a lucky one, he will be tri-lingual as he grows up.


  4. Tekkaus Says:

    It's good to have different colours of people under one roof. After all we are the same. :)


  5. RNSANE Says:

    Ayie, when my two younger sons were born, I advertised for a housekeeper who was monolingual Spanish. My nursing job necessitated my being on call almost every night for sexual assault cases and I would have to leave at a moment's notice. I wanted the boys to learn Spanish as a second language - and they did. They have been fluent all their lives and it is wonderful. I think all people should be bilingual! They learned Spanish and English so quickly!


  6. it sure looks like a great party and the food looks yummy indeed. I've never been to a Halloween party, that is because it's not in our culture of doing this.


  7. kids learn things fast. they can learn any number of languages if they have enough exposure to them.


  8. Anya Says:

    Nice to see all
    It looks like a great party :-)
    (The food looks yummie ....)


  9. betchai Says:

    hahah, same here, ayie, when i am with my husband's aunts and uncles, they speak cantonese and i do not understand anything they say :)

    hope you have a good weekend


  10. wenn Says:

    nice mixed races!


  11. Mummy Gwen Says:

    The kids are so pretty and adorable. Yeah..it's no fun at all when you don't understand their language. Ayie ganda, you didn't learn Spanish from your Hubs?

    I guess your MIL is a Filipino coz your Hubs is from Philipines right?


  12. Dora Says:

    I think u gotta brush up your Spanish hehehe :-) Oh the skeleton must've been frighten the small kids but it's COOL...


  13. levian Says:

    it is so cool to attend a halloween party! n not to mention the dressed up! i have yet join one, can't wait to experience it myself as well. that is a good plan, it is cool to have the child understand multiple languages, it will help him in many ways in the future. :)


  14. Tes Says:

    Oh, I agree that kids learn to speak a language faster than adults. I was an ESL (English as a Second language) teacher for 4 years (teehee) Some of the students who report on the first day barely understand the words "sit down" "line up" in a months time..whoa, they are already conversing in simple short sentences. Really fascinating! :)


  15. [SK] Says:

    i think it's very cool to be multi-lingual.. at least when someone try to scold you in another language (that he/she thought only he/she knows), you might understand that you are being scolded.. hahaha!! :p


  16. Autumn Belle Says:

    Children are so much fun to have around. It is a good decision to teach your kid to be multi-lingual. It is a good asset to have.


  17. foongpc Says:

    Wow! You can speak Spanish?


  18. foongpc Says:

    I'm still struggling with Mandarin!


  19. foongpc Says:

    Ooh! The food looks so yummy! I'm getting hungry now...


  20. Ayie Says:

    Icy,

    Thanks Icy! Hubs speak good spanish and I speak myown language so good as well and we both speak in english too and partially know both other languages so I think we can make it work. =)


  21. Ayie Says:

    Lina,

    The birthday boy loves spongebob so he was the official mascot for the night. As for baby, yes he has to learn all 3 languages, that will be to his benefit.


  22. Ayie Says:

    Tekkaus,

    For an occasion it's ok but maybe not living all together. Some culture clashes are not so pleasant.


  23. Ayie Says:

    Carmen,

    That's great! With spanish I will have no problems because for sure the grandpa will talk to him in spanish just like how he did with my husband. He grew up til 5yrs old not really speaking english and just learnt the language when he went schooling.


  24. Ayie Says:

    Ramblings,

    It's my first halloween party here, back then in the Philippines we do halloween dance and party too in our village.

    I also want baby and us to learn chinese, it's just hard when I travel to other asian countries with chinese speaking people who can't understand english.


  25. Ayie Says:

    Anya,

    The food was yummy!!!


  26. Ayie Says:

    Betchai,

    More shopping this weekend! haha!

    SO do you know how to speak cantonese now? I just know how to put some spanish words and converse a little and i comprehend too but can't go so so deep =)


  27. Ayie Says:

    Wenn,

    We always meet different people whenever we attend an event to that specific cousin.


  28. Ayie Says:

    Mummy Sexy,

    I already knew Spanish but very basic coz I was studying it back home but I was somehow diverted to Japanese. Hubs is so used talking to me in english so I think it's pretty awkward for him to teach though I told him to talk to me in Spanish. hehe I can get by understanding conversations and conversing as well but can't speak as fluent and as much as hubs.

    His mom is Filipina but they were all born and raised here. They just migrated to the Philippines sometime when he was 15yrs old and went back here eventually.


  29. Ayie Says:

    Dora,

    I will with baby =) More important I can understand their conversations and also speak to them even just a little.


  30. Ayie Says:

    Levian,

    You said it all good, that's to his benefits.


  31. Ayie Says:

    Tes,

    Really? That's quite odd but I understand...I've been exposed to hubs family and some can't really speak english nor comprehend.


  32. Ayie Says:

    SK,

    Hahaha! That's why my FIL can't scold me in spanish coz I will understand, he knew I can understand i just have hard time putting up words to speak their language as good as them!


  33. Ayie Says:

    Autumn Belle,

    Most especially in this country, it's a big advantage to know other languages than english.


  34. Ayie Says:

    Foong,

    I want to learn mandarin too!

    I can only speak a little Spanish but I understand more.

    Yumyum foods =)


  35. Diane AZ Says:

    Looks like everyone had a great time at the Halloween party! How wonderful that your baby will learn three languages. Great Post! :)


  36. Bengbeng Says:

    i am sure you have a knack in learning languages.. jus like Malaysian , Filipinos already have acquired the knack after knowing n speaking so many different languages


  37. Mariuca Says:

    OMG I love that Spanish dish oh my!!! :)


  38. Mariuca Says:

    I feel like having Spanish / Mexican now!!! Still on my stupid BD lol but maybe I'll make an exception for something yummy like dis he he! :)


Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page