Ayie
Last Saturday, May 23 we were invited by my cousin-in-law =) (haha, my husband's cousin so she's my in-law!) to come with them to the Greek Festival. Our cousin's husband has the Greek descent that's why they celebrate the festival annually. I was lazy to bring the camera (I know it's a good event but I really didn't feel like it) so I just googled some photos to liven up this post.

It's a 2-day festival held by the Nativity of Christ, Greek Orthodox Church of Marin County every memorial day weekend. It features Greek goods and imports (I love the clothes), paintings, live entertainment, traditional dances and great traditional Greek Cuisine.


...Minoan Dancers...

We arrived a bit earlier for the Minoan Dancers presentation so we just enjoyed dancing together with others. Our cousin just snatched my hand and brought me and her kid son to the dance floor. The dance was actually a traditional Grecian dance in circular form and mostly of foot steps. It was fun trying it for the first time.


Look at the colorful costumes!


We enjoyed the Minoan kids, so cute! That girl in blue, she was so graceful!

After the presentation my husband and I went to check the church tour where we stayed like 15-20mins but it felt like an hour for me already. I wanted to go out and been asking my husband if we can leave to see the exhibit and imports down the hall but he was interested with what the Priest was saying. Well don't ask me what was it all about because I was very much least interested (but I admit, hearing parts and bits of the church tour was not a waste of time and indeed very informative) since my eyes had a glimpse of those cute stuffs they had in the exhibit. I'm a girl, even how boyish I may be I have one character girls love to do most.... Guess?

Yeah, shopping! =D

...Gyros...
I'll have this next time =D


...Roasted Chicken Dinner...
The chicken, very tender and juicy;
The lemon rice and fresh feta veggie salad,
perfect to complete the dinner plate

Right after the church tour we went down to see the exhibit and grab some dinner. We didn't have to mind papa that much because he's enjoying his time with his dear niece. So much choices and it all looked good but we settled on the roasted chicken dinner. I wanted to get Gyros but I was already starving and had to get a complete meal. It's a bit pricey @ $11 but I think it's worth paying, it's a delicious half roasted chicken serving. Yum! Soon after the meal, we were given some sweet treats, loukoumades. Sounds complicated huh?



...Loukoumades...
The crunchy fluffy dough with honey and cinnamon was irresistible,
couldn't stop snacking. Papa was happy seeing me enjoying the sweet treat he grabbed the last of the pieces and brought it with us on our way out.


It's almost 9pm and it's starting to get freezing cold so everybody decided to go home. Seeing and learning about other culture was truly a great experience. We can never tell where we will be or who will cross our path in the future. Being exposed outside gives us the chance to gain knowledge and socially immerse to different people and cultures. How about you? Have you been to any cultural festivity lately?

Happy weekend to all!
Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
31 Responses
  1. Mummy Gwen Says:

    It's great to know more about other cultures. I like their costumes..very colorful. Mmmm....the food looks good too. The Loukoumades look very appetizing..haha..I'm drooling already. Malaysia is a multi-racial country. So, we are definitely immerse to different cultures.

    Happy weekend to you too, ganda. :D


  2. Ayie Says:

    Hi Mummy Gwen Ganda! You're my first commenter this time, not yet sleepy?

    The costumes are very colorful and they have pretty faces! I can guarantee you the foods are delicious! Mmmm, yummy loukoumades. Now I'm craving!

    Philippines is also multi-racial, I think that's why I easily appreciate other cultures as well.

    Goodnight! Enjoy your weekend!


  3. Carver Says:

    I enjoyed this post about the festival. Great shots and an interesting post.


  4. Ayie Says:

    Hi Carver, glad you enjoyed the festival too. It was fun and relaxing.

    Those aren't my shots, I was too lazy to bring the camera that day. =P Missed my chance to take lots of photos. =(


  5. lina Says:

    never mind, you can always take photos next year, right! :)

    I love the colourful costumes too.


  6. betchai Says:

    love the colorful costumes too. have not been to any cultural festivity lately.you have great shots of the festivity and of the foods :)


  7. ladyviral Says:

    Very interesting! I love their costumes. So sweetly and colorful!

    Oh ofc ourse being a food person I am, the food pictures made me hungry. They look absolutely delicious! Ok I want Nando's now! lol


  8. Hello Ayie
    We love Greek culture cuisine and wine!
    Glad to know that you had a wonderful time there!
    Amazing pictures, thanks for sharing!
    HAve a nice weekend
    God bless you
    Cezar


  9. foongpc Says:

    Your post today reminded me of the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding starring the funny Nia Vardalos. Have you seen this funny movie?


  10. The Greek dishes looked delicious. I ate Greek pastry in Melbourne. It was so yummy.
    This Greek festival is interesting, I hope there is one in Singapore.


  11. Ayie Says:

    Lina, I'll definitely bring the camera next year and try the other dishes too. =)


  12. Ayie Says:

    Betchai, those photos are net images and they have good captures indeed. Only now I realized that I wasn't able to write the resources.


  13. Ayie Says:

    Ladyviral, what's Nando's? Does that cater greek foods?


  14. Ayie Says:

    Cezar and Leia, I saw in your blogs your photos having wines. I can tell that you love to dine in places that serve wines. Glad that you like my post. Thanks! Hope you had a great weekend!


  15. Ayie Says:

    Foong, I haven't fully watched that movie but I've seen parts. I love to channel surf, that's why! *lol*

    The dishes are so tasty, only if I could try everything I would!


  16. Ayie Says:

    ECL, you must try some of the greek dishes and I bet you'll like it too. What kind of festivals do you have there in Singapore? I have friends who work and live there too. =)

    We have baklava (dessert) at home that we can't finish up to now, it's yummy but too sweet for me. I'm not much of a sweet tooth. =P


  17. Ayie Says:

    Foong, what's your favorite part in that movie? Is it the foods? hehe, I hope they show it again so I can watch it in full this time. I'm quite curious after you mentioned it. =D


  18. Bengbeng Says:

    This is so exciting. I believe this is my first exposure to Greek stuff other than history books of coz. The colos r so rich


  19. Ayie Says:

    Wow Bengbeng, same here my first time into Greek culture. The colors are very vibrant and lively. I think you'll enjoy snapping photos of this entire event. Too bad I got so lazy that day! =D


  20. levian Says:

    okay, putting food aside first .. :p
    those girls are so adorable!
    especially that girl looking at the camera,
    what did you do! :p


  21. Ayie Says:

    The girls are adorable...so as the boys! They are pretty goodlooking!

    I didn't take that shot Levian. No camera for me that day. They always smile and glance on either side, the photographer got her good on that angle.


  22. wow, it's great to get a taste of its rich culture and tradition. the outfits look colorful indeed and not to mention, all the food looks scrumptious.


  23. Ayie Says:

    Ramblings, I'm with you...everything you said is true. You are well traveled, were you able to see or attend any festivals of those places you visited?


  24. the most powerful memory was the food and wine festival that i witnessed in melbourne some years ago. I was literally salivating looking at all those fabulous food waiting for me. HA!


  25. levian Says:

    do you mean that the photograph was taken by someone from your group,
    for you to know the exact details? :D


  26. Ayie Says:

    Hi Ramblings! That's a very good experience you had. It's way too hard to resist foods on festivals, agree?


  27. Ayie Says:

    Hi Levian! Oh no, I can see the photogs around. I was sitting right there near the dance floor. I was just being very observant =)


  28. levian Says:

    that was so cool!
    i sure hope i can be there too. :D
    remember to bring your camera along next time. ;)


  29. Ayie Says:

    Don't worry Levian, next time around I'll have the camera with me. I wanted to just enjoy that day that's why. I thought if I have the camera I will end up being occupied snapping so I just felt lazy about it. Perhaps you joing us next time! =)


  30. elpaso95 Says:

    Greetings Ayie: Big Up! to you for all your support. I i use to love eat Falafail? buy Yros are such a tasting treat. Excuse my words i am not that good in Greek words. Earn Money From Survey elpaso95/blogspot has become #3 dead lastblog. I have just un-veiled a nice blog that looks much cleaner ( Paypal Site) http://paypalsites.blogspot.com . I would agree with you that Survey Savvy is a good survey site. All survey sites listed on ( Paypal Sites) are fantastic. " Please Leave A Comment On( PayPal Sites)

    Instant Cash Sweepstakes
    " join under me " ( Ayie)
    http://instantcashsweepstakes.com/invitations/ref_link/16039


  31. Ayie Says:

    Hi lacie, you're here!!

    I'm happy for your success, congratulations. Nice to know you like greek foods too. I'll hop on your new site in a while.

    Thanks for the invite, I'll join under you for those sites that I'm not yet in and interested.

    Have a good day!


Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page