Ayie

This street food can be seen almost all over Philippines.  Who wouldn't love the crispy fried battered egg?  Hubs love this and he's been missing to eat some so I decided to make him a good stick of kwek-kwek one time.  Quail eggs here can be bought 10pcs or a dozen a $1.  For tiny little eggs, I find that quite pricey.  I happened to see some in the farmer's market so I made sure I grabbed some for our afternoon merienda.  I didn't have any food coloring so I improvised.  Instead of buying food color I used powdered cheddar cheese to color the flour, that way it also added much flavor to the batter.  I think I made 2 sticks, one for me and one for hubs of course.  Baby was napping so we enjoyed everything, he was too young to have eggs that time too.  For the sauce, I kind of cheated.  I had leftover katsu sauce so not to waste, used it.

Kwek-kwek is for quail eggs and for chicken eggs, it's called tokneneng.  Why?  I honestly don't know how it came to be.  Perhaps I should research about it.  Here's a sample recipe in case you want to try making your very own.  Any kind of sauce can be used, preferably sour or sweet and sour.  Some use vinegar with chopped onions and garlic, sweet and sour sauce or soy sauce with lemon juice.  Be creative and use whichever suits your taste.

Ingredients (good for 4)

  • 1 dozen eggs, choose quail or chicken
  • cornflour for coating
  • bamboo skewer
  • oil for deep frying
  • Batter:
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • red and yellow food colouring
  •  Sauce:
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 4 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 teaspoon soy sauce
  • Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
     
Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page