Ayie

In 0ur culture, Holy week is a long holiday off from work. The whole family goes to Grotto every Black Saturday (Sabado de Gloria) and then off to Laguna hot springs or other swim places. It has been that way since I was a kid. I grew up going to Grotto, praying as we stop on every station of the cross then after buy all sort of food as pasalubong or just something to munch along our travel. My husband was able to join the family at least twice and we really enjoyed it. Same tradition continued for them but not for us. Black Saturday was still a busy day for us here so I just read the booklets I got from the church and we prayed the rosary together before bed... the rosary my mom gave on the day of our flight. It felt good! Me and my husband felt even closer after the rosary, like it's a bond keeping us tighter together.

I have no idea how other cultures celebrate the Holy Week and this is my first time being immersed in such. I'm okay missing the family tradition, it's inevitable. Now that we're settled so far from them we just have to keep the tradition alive in our ways. Through that it feels like nothing's changed. I already have their photos for that day, looking at it will be part of our joy and memories.

Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
8 Responses
  1. zakkalife Says:

    sounds like a wonderful family tradition


  2. Ayie Says:

    yeah, it's something I want to pass on to my future kids

    thanks!


  3. Monica Says:

    Hi Ayie! you've been tagged! ;-)


  4. Ayie Says:

    Thanks Monica, now I have something else to do! +P


  5. It's not an easy thing to establish a meaningful family tradition but I guess it is worth the effort and that's what makes it a special occasion!


  6. Ayie Says:

    As kids get older, they become a bit distant to the family stuffs thinking of their own things to do. Not all but some kids do fall for that. Parents really need to impose and motivate to keep the tradition going. Thanks life ramblings! Btw, do you have some special family tradition when you were a kid and now passed on to your kids?


  7. yes,we have some significant traditions that we observed. i make it a point to let my kids know the importance of family traditions so that they're aware of their cultural heritage.

    btw, are you a chinese?


  8. Ayie Says:

    That's the best way to go with kids. It all starts in the family...parents and everybody within the circle.

    Nope, not a chinese...just often mistaken for my looks! hehe (either japanese,chinese or korean) =P


Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page