Ayie
Is my title confusing you already? Why is there no roasted chicken in this post? Well, it's because there's a "blooper" out of that title with this Afritada dish I made. But before I proceed with the sotry, Let me share the recipe for this dish. As you all know I hate following exact recipe measurements and ingredients so I also customize my dishes so this recipe is from Filipino Food Recipes to better guide you with the measurements and instructions.



Chicken Afritada Ingredients:

  • 1 kilo chicken, cut into pieces

  • 5 pieces potatoes, peeled and halved

  • 1 red onion, diced

  • 1 head garlic, minced

  • 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips

  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips

  • 2 cups pork or chicken stock (broth)

  • 1 cup tomato sauce

  • 2 tablespoons of patis (fish sauce)

  • 3 tablespoons of cooking oil

Chicken Afritada Cooking Instructions:

  • In a cooking pot or wok, heat oil.

  • Sauté garlic and onions.

  • Add chicken and slightly brown.

  • Pour the tomato sauce and stock. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked.

  • Add potatoes and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.

  • Add the green and red bell peppers, simmer for an additional minute or two.

  • Salt and pepper to taste

  • Serve this chicken recipe hot with steamed rice.



One night after cleaning up the table and doing the dishes hubs went to the living room to watch America's Funniest Video. We love staying for a while in the living room after dinner to watch and relax before we retire for the night. I was tidying up the kitchen so I started preheating the leftover Afritada. I was just looking and watching from the kitchen then hubs called me and made me stay there and sit with him. At first I was hesitant since I was still doing something in the kitchen and I might forget about it. Eventually I gave in and just watched with him there and about 30mins later we started smelling such savory food. Our door was partially open so I thought it could be the Filipino family downstairs cooking some roasted chicken.

It's been a while and still the aromatic smell of that food was getting more and more. I was complementing how good it smells and that they must've marinated their chicken so well to roast with that smell. That's when I blurted out, "damn that roasted chicken!" as i was starting to crave and hate the fact that we already ate dinner and it felt like a torture smelling it the whole time we were in the living room watching. Hubs was just laughing because he too admits the it smells so so good. Later on hubs went to the kitchen to get some water, then busted! He asked me if I'm cooking something and he smells like something's burning. Then it got back to my senses that I was preheating my Afritada and totally forgot about it when I sat and watched with hubs. Hubs was bursting out of laughter and said "there's your roasted chicken!, to think you're even accusing the Filipino Family downstairs of roasting such delicious smelling chicken this late at night!". Oh well good thing I put the fire very very low when I left the kitchen to make sure it won't burn without constant stirring. I hurriedly checked the pan and see if it's really burnt and good things it was just the sauce and we're still able to have the rest of the Afritada the next day.



Moral of the story? If you want your home to smell like savory roasted chicken, leave your afritada to burn =P hehehe of course I'm kidding =) But seriously, that accident also taught me how afritada could taste if I use fire roasted tomatoes instead of just a regular tomato sauce. By the way, you can also use pork or any of your desired meat for this dish.

How about you? Any cooking "blooper" experience too?

Enjoy your weekend!!
Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
22 Responses
  1. Tekkaus Says:

    No...not yet. At least no "blooper" at your scale yet. :p


  2. Hahahaha! Blame it on others huh? hahahah


  3. betchai Says:

    hmmm, i do sometimes set the fire alarm off because i forgot what i was cooking and the whole house smells burnt something :)


  4. [SK] Says:

    hahaha, it happened to me few times when i put something into the oven, it will end up burnt if i've gone somewhere else doing other things.. so the lesson learnt: always stay beside your oven if it's cooking, else set yourself the alarm!! :p


  5. mimi Says:

    hahahha the thought of someone else roasting the chicken (and in fact marinate them long) was SOOO damn funny! hahahaha


  6. oh what a experience!LOL
    I'm taking my notes about this receipt,looks delicious!
    I need to confess that I'm not talent at cooking stuffs! :)
    Hugs and have a blessed weekend
    Léia and little Luna


  7. Anonymous Says:

    This dish looks delicious, Ayie! I cook without measurement, and like you I always customize it to my my taste.


  8. Carver Says:

    The food looks great. Funny story and I'm glad your dish was still edible.


  9. we all make mistakes occasionally. i've not encounter such situations though and hopefully it will never happen.


  10. Mummy Gwen Says:

    I don't follow the exact measurements too, Ayie. Your afritada looks so yummy.

    Hahaha...this is so funny..you were smelling your own roasted chicken all the time! LOL. Luckily, your pan isn't burnt..hehe. So far, no blooper at my side yet.


  11. Pete Says:

    Nice combination of ingredients. Good to eat with bread


  12. zakkalife Says:

    Burnt or not the food looks good.


  13. lina Says:

    Since I am no cook, I made bloopers all the time esp because I usually don't follow the recipes to the tee. :D


  14. Mariuca Says:

    Wahhhhh so yummy Elai and I am damn hungry hippo now, help!!!!


  15. Mariuca Says:

    OMG sorry... hahahhaahah AYIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not Elai, sorry!


  16. Mariuca Says:

    Thanks for sharing da recipe Ayie, dat's two recipes I found enticing online today yay!


  17. Autumn Belle Says:

    After getting burnt, the dish still looks deliciously yummy. My mouth is watering now.


  18. Bengbeng Says:

    this looks good. i dont use precise measurements too... i jus hazard a guess n use approximations


  19. foongpc Says:

    I don't really cook so no such blooper for me so far. Not yet that is. Haha!


  20. foongpc Says:

    But the afritada looks so yummy! So funny you smelled roasted chicken! : D


  21. Dora Says:

    Hey, very yummy dishes here & your baby boy is chubby & feel like wanna pinch a bit! hehehe... :-)


  22. Ayie Says:

    Thanks so much for all your comments....i appreciate very much all the yummy comments despite the blooper! lol


Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page