Ayie


I blogged about receiving a call from my brother's friend regarding the package my family prepared for me. They were not really ready yet for the package when they were told bro's friend can hand carry it to give me. Mom and sis rushed getting stuffs to take the opportunity sending me an early Christmas present. They were able to the most important things I requested and for me it's the thought of them wanting to send me and hubs something here counts most.





Last Saturday we set up our meeting a little after lunch since me and hubs take our time sleeping extra time and not waking up too early on weekends. It was a rainy day and really freezing out there, I was lucky enough to snap on a rainbow along the freeway. We met in Union Landing, a place nearer to his area about 30miles away from us more or less 30mins drive. It's better there since we are the one getting favor, it's really so kind of him to bother about our package when he can just fly without carrying any extra baggage. Hubs and I got there ahead and stayed in Jollibee, a well known Filipino fastfood. We grabbed a little meal there while waiting for a pre-late lunch. In case you missed my post about how much I was anticipating for this meeting, just check here.




Soon he came and we decided on eating our late lunch in Gerry's Grill which is another Filipino franchise within the same commercial complex. It was my husband who chose this place because I never had the chance to bring him there in the Philippines during his short stay. Hubs and bro's friend already met before when he brought and handed him a small package from me so they got chitty-chatty talking about computer programs, urls, codes, etc once seated. I actually had to interrupt them and asked for their orders. Looks like it was hubs lucky day because we let him choose his particulars. Bro's friend referred to the orders as "A Feast" when we gave it all to the waiter saying it's alot! Silly me I was even thinking of adding some orders if it's not enough. I totally forgot the serving here is really big compared back home.


...Batchoy...
noodles with pork slices, pork cracklings, egg,spring onions, roasted garlic
(this didn't pass my taste, nothing beats the authentic Filipino Batchoy!)


...Pork Sisig...
crackling chopped pork meat sauteed with onions, spices & served with egg
(hubs loved this but me & bro'sfriend didn't... it may be because it's a bit bland and we know how to make this dish too, it's lacking essential spice, also my sisig is way better than that! wahehehehe)


...grilled squid...
I love this dish! The squid was cooked just right, not chewy like a gum (overcooked) & the sauce they used to marinate was very tasty. I really insisted on this dish remembering how good the squid there in Geryy's Grill back home and it didn't fail me =)


...Tinomok...
meat rolled in leaves & cooked in coconut milk
(I ordered this thinking hubs will like it & he did! I wasn't expecting much with this dish at first thinking it's a very local dish that they might not make it the same here but overall verdict, it's very good! The sauce is tasty and everything in it.)


...Pinakbet...
bitter gourd, long string beans, squash, okra sauteed in shrimp paste with shrimps, pork slices & garnished with crushed pork crackling
(Another dish I didn't expect much but surprisingly tasted so good! Hubs love this dish but very hard to get the ingredients here so I don't get to cook it much. Another thumbs up for this dish!)


...Crab Fried Rice...
We ended up ordering 2 extra plain rice when we were told the serving for this fried rice is just 2cups worth but when the bowlful of rice came to our table we were like laughing because it's good for a regular 4 person serving.

We were so stuffed (of course I'm not telling my doctor about this pig-out) that there's no more room left for dessert and that's good too because I can't have desserts =) We ended up taking out all the leftovers, the servings were big unlike there in the Philippines. That actually saved me from cooking til Sunday! Seeing how hubs enjoyed the dishes so much I footed for the bill though I had some help with the tip from him. I wasn't expecting I'll be spending that much that eat out alone..hehe but it's ok, we all enjoyed. After our very nice late lunch we took some photos to send to my family. See...I gained so much weight now =P



We had a little tour within the area, he showed us good places to eat there, Asian groceries and bakeries & freight forwarding services. Me and hubs initially thought we can do a little "baby shopping" after the meeting but never pushed through anymore. It gets dark as early as 4:30pm here plus the rainy weather, we decided to call it a day and head home. The day turned out to be a relaxing day-out for us. Perhaps I'll just share about my little package on the next post =)

Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
33 Responses
  1. fufu Says:

    so you are back to the philippines? oh... i miss pinoy food >< FedEx me some pls... =p


  2. Ayie Says:

    Fufu,

    I'm not back home...I just went to a mall complex here with some Filipino franchises. I can't really go back home this year since I'm nearing my due date.


  3. Ice Says:

    I have to do some cooking today. How I wish those dishes you had were on my table :o)


  4. lina Says:

    Wow! That is indeed a feast Ayie!


  5. Jean Says:

    lovely feast with d presence of a lovely rainbow

    A smile from SJ =)


  6. RNSANE Says:

    I don't know how you managed the drive home after such a feast...I'm assuming your husband drove. I always need a nap when I've consumed so much. I was glad to get a description of some of the food as I live in Daly City, CA which is a metropolis of the Filipino community with many restaurants. I have always worked with many nurses from the Philippines so our pots lucks were great feasts with the usual adobo, lumpia, pancit, lechon, etc...but some of the dishes you describe are new to me.



  7. levian Says:

    it is so rare for you to do such a detailed food post! i've gotta say i enjoyed all the descriptions, made my mouth watered. :) the grilled squid especially, caught my attention the most! i usually love having the fried ones, but either way, they all taste so good. :p


  8. roentare Says:

    Seriously, I am glad to see so many wonderful dishes in your blog.

    I had not even heard of these names of the food you have described in the post. Great dishes and I wished there were some available in Melbourne where I stayed!


  9. Dora Says:

    I love the noodle & the crab fried rice. They both look very delicious to me! I've posted something about food today, hehehe...


  10. Dear friend,
    You are sooo beautiful!It's a blessing time in your life!
    Thanks a lot for sharing this lovely post.Glad to see you had a cool time and I liked a lot your pictures.
    God bless you
    Léia and Luna



  11. Ayie Says:

    Ai,

    So what did you prepare?


  12. Ayie Says:

    Lina,

    We never expected the serving will be big also no choice to trim out orders since hubs wanted all those other foods he ordered. It didn't go to waste anyway, we just had it for take out afterwards.


  13. Ayie Says:

    SJ,

    The rainbow made my day! It's nice to finally see one again after a long time.


  14. Ayie Says:

    RNSANE,

    I cook all those foods too! How do you find Filipino dishes? SO you're just in Daly City, yes a hub for the Filipino community! I hope I'll get to meet you when we go somewhere there. I live more in San Jose area. Thanks for coming here =)


  15. Ayie Says:

    Willie,

    Yummy foods there!


  16. Ayie Says:

    Levian, Fried calamari? I love that too but I also cook that and this squid is the grill's specialty. Can't miss to have it on the table. I thought of describing all foods for all of you to understand it more. It's mostly Filipino dishes so I know it's something foreign to you.


  17. Ayie Says:

    Roentarre,

    I know you love foods and too bad you can't try any of these there. No filipino area there?


  18. Ayie Says:

    Dora,

    The noodle is a bit bland for me but if you eat that in the Philippines you can get the authentic one with complete ingredients. Maybe I'm also just being too meticulous since I cook a lot. The crab rice is tasty. Hmmm, you chose more on chinese taste =)


  19. Ayie Says:

    Leia & Luna,

    So nice Luna's here too! Thanks for your dear comment =) Enjoy the foods even just through the photos I shared =)


  20. levian Says:

    some are foreign indeed. like the pork sisig, it looked like fried rice but not exactly. but i feel like sinking my mouth into it to know what you mean when you said it's not one of your favorites n you know how to make a better one! we could use more dishes n descriptions to know your food better. :)


  21. ladyviral Says:

    I am hungry! You made me hungry @.@

    looks like a good reunion :). You look so adorable pregnant ^_^. You're all glowie.

    I would still want to try the sisig... I haven't managed to find a place that have those yet :P.


  22. You look great. Must eat well, for baby's sake. You will be able to lose those extra pounds when baby is born..... taking care of the baby 24/7. :)


  23. Anya Says:

    It looks all sooooooooooo YUMMIE :-)
    I am hungry now ....... LOL
    You are looking FANTASTIC on your pregnant
    (I never forget my pregnants !!!!!!)
    When Is the baby coming ???


  24. Anonymous Says:

    Mouth-watering dishes! I get hungry just looking at them!


  25. Mummy Gwen Says:

    You look great. The food look so yummy. :)


  26. Ayie Says:

    Levian,

    Just visit Phils and you can have all the good foods I am talking about here =)


  27. Ayie Says:

    Ladyviral,

    Try going to a Filipino area or market there. They will know that (they should). I'm glowie? hehe maybe because I just got goodies from my family! haha! And I was able to pig out that day too...sshhhh I kind of cheated on my blood sugar tests that day! hehehe


  28. Ayie Says:

    ECL,

    Oh yes must get back to shape after baby's born! lol


  29. Ayie Says:

    Anya,

    I'm due this Feb...a little more!!!


  30. Ayie Says:

    Icy,

    I crave whenever I see those foods too =P


  31. Ayie Says:

    Mummy Sexy,

    Thank you mummy!! Yes the food are 100% yummy =)


Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page