Ayie
Do you find Opera, plays or Musicals boring? Would you rather choose movie in cinema over these?



Last September 27 me and my husband watched an opera show called "Manon". He was given special promo discount for the show by his office secretary (who didn't feel like watching the opera) and he took the opportunity since we both like watching operas and musicals. It was a great deal because we saved $100! Originally the ticket's $75/head and we only got ours $25/head. The timing was good too since that time hubs half-bro just passed away, it served as a little retreat for us from all the stress.



Manon is an opéra comique in five acts by Jules Massenet to a French libretto by Henri Meilhac and Philippe Gille, based on the 1731 novel L’histoire du chevalier des Grieux et de Manon Lescaut by the Abbé Prévost. It was first performed at the Opéra-Comique in Paris on January 19, 1884. (from wikipedia)



Manon is Massenet's most popular and enduring opera, having maintained an important place in the repertory since its creation. It is the quintessential example of the charm and vitality of the music and culture of the Parisian Belle Époque. The first Manon was Marie Heilbron and other noted interpreters include Sybil Sanderson (Massenet's personal favorite), Fanny Heldy, Lucrezia Bori, Bidu Sayao, Victoria de los Ángeles, Anna Moffo, Beverly Sills, Renée Fleming, Anna Netrebko, and Natalie Dessay. Due to its heavy vocal demands, the role of Manon was described by Beverly Sills as "the French Isolde." (from wikipedia)



Given the opportunity we will go and watch more plays, opera or concerts. Of course we are being economical too and cannot just splurge on those things. Perhaps in time we can finally go to Broadway and see shows there. I remember watching the Disney Princess On Ice in the Philippines and it must be nice to see it here too. Prudential Center tickets has deals this Nov 21-22 shows. Tournament of Roses Parade tickets are also available for Jan 1, 2010, that definitely something worth to see for a shutterbug like me! Some circus acts will be enchanting to see like Cirque du Soleil on Feb 4 - April 20, 2010 through Beacon Theater tickets but that time I must've given birth already.



This photo shows the main casts from the opera. Overall experience was great and we had some laughing moments because me and hubs were making fun of how the story went. Don't get me wrong, the whole production's great. We just find the characters to be "love obsessive" and I will often refer to Manon as the "flirty girl". Hahaha sorry guys but what can I do, she gave me that impression (a country girl who was sent by her parents to a convent to take away from temptations and right after arriving sets her eyes on a guy and they were like love at first sight and eloped). That's also the reason why I didn't write my own synopsis of the play because you might be redirected to my comments.

Subscribe to Jif Photo Journal by Email
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
16 Responses
  1. lina Says:

    I have yet been to an opera so don't know much about it.

    Great that you got the tickets cheaper. Save $$$ and still enjoy the show. :D


  2. Anya Says:

    I have never seen a opera in real :(
    I hope it was nice !!!


  3. levian Says:

    i haven't been to an opera before, but would love so much to experience one myself! neither had i the chance to enjoy any disney on ice. except on tv. haha. it was so cool! it must be so exciting to be among the crowd. :)


  4. ladyviral Says:

    I have never been to opera or musicals before.

    I would love to experience once though :). Maybe drag my husband there next time to their Esplanade for one hehe!


  5. Tekkaus Says:

    War...you and your hubs are so romantic huh! I don't think there is an opera near my house. :D


  6. Mummy Gwen Says:

    I've never been any concert/opera/musical before. We just go to the malls and movies..haha.


  7. wow it's wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing these moment so special!It's really wonderful!I would love to attend some opera some day!
    Léia :)


  8. Ayie Says:

    Lina,

    The deal was great, big bucks saved! And we enjoyed that quiet time =)


  9. Ayie Says:

    Anya,

    Not everybody enjoys the opera with all the sopranos and tenors singing but we love it =)


  10. Ayie Says:

    Levian,

    The disney on ice is fun to watch with all the musicals =)


  11. Ayie Says:

    LadyV,

    Yes do it do it!


  12. Ayie Says:

    Tekkaus,

    then that will be a call for a special date =)


  13. Ayie Says:

    Mummy Sexy,

    I go when there's only a chance =)


  14. Ayie Says:

    Leia,

    You might like it.


  15. Anonymous Says:

    I love opera, once in a while! Those are very expressive photos..


  16. Ayie Says:

    Icy,

    You too!? The photos aren't mine though but I love 'em =)


Post a Comment

Trailers of movies we have seen on the big screen!
More stuff to read!
Blogs of the Month
Posts of the Month
Total Visits:
Privacy Policy | Site Statistics | Blog Network | Advertise
Creative Commons License
This work by Jif Photo Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Top of Page Bottom of Page